using physical/chemical properties to account for reactions with CuSO4 andNaHCO3

Started by anita, November 21, 2021, 07:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anita

I was confused on this question; I wasn't sure if i was doing it right. For part A, I thought that the aluminum was reacting with the CuSo4 and I wrote the equation:
Al + CuSo4 --> Al2 (SO4)3 + Cu
And for part B, I also wrote the equation:
NaHCO3 + HCO2H --> Na OH + HCO3

Use chemical and physical properties to account for each of the following.
(a) An aluminum container filled with an aqueous solution of CuSO4 eventually developed a
leak. Include a chemical equation with your answer. (2 points)

(d) The redness and itching of the skin caused by ant bites (injections of methanoic acid,
HCO2H) can be relieved by applying a paste made from water and baking soda (solid sodium
hydrogen carbonate). Include a chemical equation with your answer. (2 points)

chenbeier

The first one is not balanced

2 Al + 3 CuSO4 => Al2(SO4)3 + 3 Cu

The second one is a neutralization

HCOOH + NaHCO3 => HCOONa + CO2 + H2O

uma

Quote from: anita on November 21, 2021, 07:33:18 PM
I was confused on this question; I wasn't sure if i was doing it right. For part A, I thought that the aluminum was reacting with the CuSo4 and I wrote the equation:
Al + CuSo4 --> Al2 (SO4)3 + Cu
And for part B, I also wrote the equation:
NaHCO3 + HCO2H --> Na OH + HCO3

Use chemical and physical properties to account for each of the following.
(a) An aluminum container filled with an aqueous solution of CuSO4 eventually developed a
leak. Include a chemical equation with your answer. (2 points)

(d) The redness and itching of the skin caused by ant bites (injections of methanoic acid,
HCO2H) can be relieved by applying a paste made from water and baking soda (solid sodium
hydrogen carbonate). Include a chemical equation with your answer. (2 points)
a)
Al is more reactive metal which displaces less reactive metal copper from its compound.This reaction falls in the category of single displacement reaction and also in redox category.
This results in formation of holes in aluminum container as some aluminum come in solution as Al3+ ions .

Ant bite is acidic in nature because  it release methanoic acid and this acid causes pain and itching on the skin.If we use some mild base then acidity effect can be reduced due to neutralization reaction. Hydrogen carbonates are mild bases so baking soda reacts with HCOOH to CO2 and H2O with formation of sodium formate .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk