Redox titrations to determine amount of dissolved O2 in water.

Started by anita, November 02, 2021, 08:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anita

I. 2 Mn2+ + 4 OH- + O2(g) → 2 MnO2(s) + 2 H2O
II. MnO2(s) + 2 I- + 4 H+ → Mn2+ + I2(aq) + 2 H2O
III. 2 S2O3 2- + I2(aq) → S4O6 2- + 2 I-
The amount of oxygen, O2, dissolved in water can be determined by titration. First, MnSO4 and NaOH are added to a sample of water to convert all of the dissolved O2 to MnO2, as shown in equation I above. Then H2SO4 and KI are added and the reaction represented by equation II proceeds.
Finally, the I2 that is formed is titrated with standard sodium thiosulfate, Na2S2O3,according to equation III.
(a) According to the equation above, how many moles of S2O3 2- are required for analyzing 1.00 mole of O2 dissolved in water? (1 point)
(b) A student found that a 50.0 ml sample of water required 4.86 ml of 0.0112 Molar
Na2S2O3 to reach the equivalence point. Calculate the number of moles of O2 dissolved in this sample.(2 points)
(c) How would the results in (b) be affected if some I2 were lost before the S2O32- was added?Explain. (1 point)
(d) What volume of dry O2 measured at 25 ̊C and 1.00 atmosphere of pressure would have to be dissolved in 1.00 liter of pure water in order to prepare a solution of the same concentration as that obtained in (b)? Hint: PV=nRT (3 points)
(e) Name an appropriate indictor for the reaction shown in equation III and describe the change you would observe at the end point of the titration. (2 points)

uma

QuoteI. 2 Mn2+ + 4 OH- + O2(g) → 2 MnO2(s) + 2 H2O
II. MnO2(s) + 2 I- + 4 H+ → Mn2+ + I2(aq) + 2 H2O
III. 2 S2O3 2- + I2(aq) → S4O6 2- + 2 I-
The amount of oxygen, O2, dissolved in water can be determined by titration. First, MnSO4 and NaOH are added to a sample of water to convert all of the dissolved O2 to MnO2, as shown in equation I above. Then H2SO4 and KI are added and the reaction represented by equation II proceeds.
Finally, the I2 that is formed is titrated with standard sodium thiosulfate, Na2S2O3,according to equation III.
(a) According to the equation above, how many moles of S2O3 2- are required for analyzing 1.00 mole of O2 dissolved in water? (1 point)
We will use molar ratio from all three equations -
1mole of O2 gives 2 moles of MnO2 from equation I.
1mole of MnO2 gives 1 mole of I2 from equation II.
1mole of I2 reacts with 2 moles of 2 S2O3 2-from equation III.

Now to know moles of  S2O3 2- =
1mole of O2 x   2 moles MnO2/ mole of O2
        X 1mole of I2 / 1mol MnO2
                                              X 2 moles S2O3 2-  / 1mole of I2
                                     = 4 mol 1mole of S2O3 2-

uma

Quote(b) A student found that a 50.0 ml sample of water required 4.86 ml of 0.0112 Molar
Na2S2O3 to reach the equivalence point. Calculate the number of moles of O2 dissolved in this sample.(2 points)

Now from the above post -Moles of thiosulfate needed to determine amount of dissolved O2 in water-Redox
Quoteb]1mole of O2 x   2 moles MnO2/ mole of O2
        X 1mole of I2 / 1mol MnO2
                                              X 2 moles S2O3 2-  / 1mole of I2
                                     = 4 mol 1mole of S2O3 2- [/b]

From given information in the  question calculate number of moles of  Na2S2O3 from its molarity and volume.
Moles = Molarity * Volume in L
        =  0.0112 M * 0.00486 L =

5.44*e-5  mol  S2O3 2-
                       X 1mol of O2 / 4 mol  S2O3 2-
          =1.36 e-5 mol of O2 dissolved in given 50 mL of water.

uma

(
Quotec) How would the results in (b) be affected if some I2 were lost before the S2O32- was added? Explain. (1 point)
Amount of I2 is very important in calculation of the dissolved amount of oxygen in the given amount of water.
Moles of I2 ------> moles of MnO2 -------> moles of O2 dissolved  in given amount of water.
If some amount of I2 is lost then thiosulfate which is used to determine the amount of I2 will be less.
This results in less reporting of I2  -----> less reporting of mole of MnO2 ----> reporting  less amount of O2 dissolved  in given amount of water.

uma

Quote(d) What volume of dry O2 measured at 25 ̊C and 1.00 atmosphere of pressure would have to be dissolved in 1.00 liter of pure water in order to prepare a solution of the same concentration as that obtained in (b)? Hint: PV=nRT (3 points)
Moles of O2 are already calculated in part a of the question -
Quote1.36 e-5 mol of O2 dissolved in given 50 mL of water.[/b]
Total volume of water given in this question = 1.00L = 1000 mL

Moles of O2 in 1000.0mL =
                                1.36 e-5 mol of O2 * 1000.mL H2O / 50.00 mL H2O
                                =   2.72e-4 mol
P = 1atm
T = 298K
V= nRT/P

Plug in all values to know the volume in L
V =  2.72e-4 mol  *0.0821* 298/1 =0.00665L = 6.65 mL in 1L of water.

uma

Quote(e) Name an appropriate indictor for the reaction shown in equation III and describe the change you would observe at the end point of the titration. (2 points)

Indicator used is starch which combines with I2 to give dark blue complex and once all I2 is converted to I-, color changes to light yellow .

[attachment id=0 msg=3110]

Jag

Again one exercise to redoxreaction, after given the solution of oxalate permanganate the student should be able to solve it by her self.
I dont see a learn effect to post also here the full solution.

uma

Quote from: Jag on November 07, 2021, 06:08:57 AM
Again one exercise to redoxreaction, after given the solution of oxalate permanganate the student should be able to solve it by her self.
I dont see a learn effect to post also here the full solution.
It is not only for one student for private tutoring or any kind of HW help. It is for all students who are struggling with these type of questions.
If you have any problem then you stop watching this post.

Jag

I have  no problem. Its only my opinion. Its not teaching. The same can be obtain in text books, if the student understand or not is not guaranteed.
Ok I shut up my mouth now.

uma

Here  there is no white board or any other interface to share with student.
Best is to give them solution and let them ask their doubts if they have any.
I advise you not to comment on the answers given by others .This is my way of passing knowledge and teaching according to me is with whiteboard /audio which I am using in my virtual classroom.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk